The defense of medical malpractice cases involving hospitals, nursing homes, health care institutions and long-term care facilities has been a cornerstone of Johnson & Bell’s practice for the entirety of its forty year history. Our attorneys have successfully defended thousands of malpractice cases, trying hundreds to verdict. This level of experience allows us to deliver efficient, insightful and effective legal services that accomplish our clients’ objectives. The Health Care group at Johnson & Bell, with more than 30 attorneys, is one of the largest practices in the firm.
Our Health Care group has handled cases arising out of both acute care hospital and outpatient settings involving every medical specialty:
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Surgery, including neurosurgery, orthopedic, transplant, cardiovascular, plastic and reconstructive
- Family and Internal Medicine, as well as its subspecialties, oncology, cardiology, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, neurology, infectious disease, Ophthalmology, Psychiatry, Radiology and Interventional Radiology.
- Surgical error
- Anesthetic complication
- Informed consent
- Pressure ulcer/patient falls
We have an active and successful trial practice, and have earned a reputation for successfully defending high-exposure lawsuits against top trial attorneys from the plaintiffs' bar.
Our medical malpractice capabilities include:
- Defending physicians, surgeons, nurses and ancillary health care professionals in lawsuits involving prenatal care through geriatric medicine. In addition, our attorneys have successfully defended hospitals, nursing homes and other care facilities in cases alleging negligent credentialing, medication errors, improper supervision and training, improper use of restraints, patient abuse, and a myriad of other issues.
- Litigating cases involving alleged violations of the Illinois Nursing Home Care Act, EMTALA, and the Division of Specialized Care for Children Guidelines. Our attorneys have also successfully defended hospitals, physicians and other health care providers through Indiana’s Medical Review Panel Process and through verdict at trial.
- Counseling clients in the areas of medical peer review, health care staff credentialing, accreditation compliance, and related matters.
- Defending clients on licensing issues before administrative agencies such as the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation.
- Advising clients on risk management and risk reduction issues, including advice on consent forms, policy and procedure, and documentation issues.
In addition, Johnson & Bell’s trial practice is supported by a very strong and successful Appellate Practice.